Filed under Features

AE Civil Rights Trip

Back to Article
Back to Article

AE Civil Rights Trip

#AE16 students in Selma, Alabama.

#AE16 students in Selma, Alabama.

Photo by...

#AE16 students in Selma, Alabama.

Photo by...

Photo by...

#AE16 students in Selma, Alabama.

The Civil Rights tour of the South is one of the best and most favored trips in The American Experience  (AE) class. It was filled with excitement, some good laughs, and whole lot of learning. The AE students experienced and explored the history and culture of the southern U.S., all while having fun hanging out with friends. This kind of adventure couldn’t ever be forgotten.

For those who don’t know, AE is a class that connects history and literature. The goal of the class is to teach students how to think and learn in new ways and how to make connections.  The teachers of AE, Mr. Kuntz and Mr. Sylvester, have accomplished both by taking their students on a series of educational field trips that revolve around what they are learning in class. Recently, the AE class of 2016 has been learning about the American Civil Rights Movement. “We would like the students in the American Experience to be able to further their knowledge of the Civil Rights Unit, to experience it first hand, and then be able to come back and share it with other people,” Mr. Kuntz explains. This is his sixth year touring the South, but he is still very excited. “Out of all the AE trips, this one is my favorite,” he adds.

Students walk across Edmund Pettus Bridge.

Photo by Kylie Krumenauer

On Thursday, January 14, twenty-eight thrilled students and five BSM teachers boarded a plane going from Minnesota to Memphis, Tennessee. They crossed into Mississippi to a motel, then traveled back to Memphis to see the National Civil Rights Museum, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot. Later that night, they headed to Birmingham, Alabama to travel the Civil Rights Heritage Trail. The next morning students walked around Kelly Ingram Park, the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. In Montgomery the group saw the Rosa Parks Museum, the Freedom Rides Museum, and took a walking tour of the capitol of Alabama. On Sunday the group traveled to Selma, where they saw the Edmund Pettus Bridge and other historic sights. After checking out the Lowndes Interpretive Center, they toured Tuskegee. Finally, on their last day, the class saw Atlanta, Georgia, which included the MLK Historic Site, the MLK parade, and the plane ride home to Minneapolis. That’s four states and seven cities in only four-and-a-half days. To say the least, the AE class of ‘16 was very tired but knowledgeable after the Civil Rights Trip.

Students explore the Civil Rights Memorial Park.

Photo by Kylie Krumenauer

Although they were tired, many will remember the trip as one of the coolest parts of the AE class, and it is easy to see why.  “I really am happy that I went because I’ve never actually been there before, and I think it was really nice to be able to see the culture and see all the history that had happened there,” says student Nadya Mojica. “You can understand it way more if you actually go there rather than just learning about it in a classroom.”

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Wonder: Best-Selling Novel Turned to Movie

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Why Video Games Are Addicting

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Lego Robotics Competitions

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

The Book Project

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Flyboards

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

U.S. Bank Stadium

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

8th Grade Outdoor Art Sculpture Project

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Science Fiction Technology That Isn’t Fiction Anymore

• AE Civil Rights Trip

Features

Speech Team Success

• Features

Junior High Pop Choir

AE Civil Rights Trip