Filed under News

Highway 100 Reconstruction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Highway 100 Reconstruction

Lane closure on highway 100 causing backup.

Mr. Hoemke

Mr. Hoemke

Mr. Hoemke

The dreaded massive remodel of Highway 100 is finally here. Now that the construction is here, students coming to BSM from all parts of the metropolitan area will be struggling to get to school on time. The project, which will take place over a two mile length of the highway, is estimated to cost 60 million dollars by the time the renovations are finished in 2016. A spokeswoman for the Minnesota Department of Transportation said that you should estimate your daily commute to be over double the time it usually takes you.

The immense amount of traffic and detours can cause any student that is not careful to be tardy, or they may just not have enough time to get things done in the morning. Charlie Deterding, a 7th grade student attending BSM, has been having to put a lot more time into getting to school without starting the day off with a tardy slip. He has three other siblings also attending BSM, which makes it extra hard to get to school. Now, he and his siblings not only have to hassle which each other, but also with the traffic.

Students who drive to this school aren’t the only people who are being negatively affected by the road work. Julia Hoover, who is a student that takes the bus, is now left with little or no time to start the school day. Although she cannot be late to school because she takes the bus, Julia now gets to school around five minutes before classes, which is barely enough time to get from the parking lot to the junior high. The bus has tried four different routes without any improvement. Julia says, “Although it may be frustrating, and I can’t get many things done in the morning, my situation is doable.”

Although this extra traffic may be a hard thing to overcome, there are several ways that you can prevent being late to your first hour class. The first thing that you can do is to be more organized in the morning. Plan out what you should be doing at any given time, and keep your backpack and other essentials on hand. You could also prep a little before you go to sleep. Lay out your clothes, pack your backpack, or gather supplies you will need for tomorrow’s class. Also, it is a good idea to tell whoever is driving you when you want to be to school by, and that you really don’t want to be late. One of the most important rules of all, though, is to plan for heavy delays. Even if you don’t think traffic will be that bad, try to act as if it was going to be or that your route may be blocked off. You can never be too safe with this amount of construction. When the burden of construction ends next year, we will all be thankful that the time of scrambling and hassling to just get to school will be over.

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

News

Junior High Roller Garden Party

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

News

The Bird Flu Epidemic

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

News

Festival of Nations

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

News

Lego League Competition

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

News

Junior High Dance Recap

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

Profiles

Get to Know English Teacher Mr. Mosich

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

Features

Wonder: Best-Selling Novel Turned to Movie

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

Profiles

Get to Know Mr. Leung – New Orchestra Teacher

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

Sports

Playing Up: Junior High Players on High School Volleyball Teams

• Highway 100 Reconstruction

Sports

All about the Amazing BSM Dance Team

Highway 100 Reconstruction