Filed under Profiles

Get to Know English Teacher Mr. Mosich

1. When did you start teaching, and why?

” I started teaching three years ago because I realized I was teaching in the other jobs I was at a lot with co-workers. I like hanging out with students more than co-workers sometimes; it is a little more fun. It is a job I get to come into every day as different just based on interactions with students and whatever we are learning and different things that get brought up. It keeps me on my toes. I have to think a lot because of questions I get asked. I really enjoy having my own views and my own education challenged and trying to facilitate that for others as well.”

2. What do you like about BSM?

“I like the community. When I come in, I know my co-workers. I can talk to them about things I may be thinking about or struggling with. I like the openness and autonomy teachers are given here to teach in the way that they hold best. I enjoy the students that come in. It is a larger school in the sense of its location and its impact on the Minneapolis area, but small enough so that everyone knows everyone. It is a very cool thing to be a part of.”

3. Why do you teach English?

“I became an English teacher for a few reasons. The first one being I despised English throughout middle school and high school. I did not like it whatsoever. It is where I learned to flip my pencil and do other things. So I thought what subject could I have the biggest impact in and one appreciated the most, and I think English opened that door. Unlike math or science, it’s not necessarily teaching facts; it is teaching how to think and how to communicate. And those are two things I do well, for the most part, sometimes not. But I think, just like how I like teaching because it was different, I like English because it is very much open to interpretation. You can ask one question and get three different responses. It is up to the teacher to identify and figure out what that person was thinking and why. I enjoy that challenge and appreciate the diversity.”

4. Where did you go to school/college?

“I went to high school at Anoka, not too far from here. I went to college and got my bachelor’s degree in mass communications and broadcasting, as well as a general minor in business, from Saint Cloud State University. Then I worked in business for a little bit and decided I wanted to go back to school to be a teacher. So I went back to school at Bethel University just a few miles away from here and pursued that.”

5. Have you ever thought about a different job?

“All the time, maybe not as much now because I like where I am at. But I am a person who likes learning new things and learning to do new things. I have held a lot of jobs because of that reason. I would get proficient at one and say alright it is time to move on to the next job. Obviously, I still have dreams of becoming a rock star or doing something crazy like that. But where I am at now is a good place and I enjoy being here a lot.”

6. Who was the biggest influence in your life?

“I had a college professor who had a pretty big impact on me. He showed me how to use my brain so to speak. He really made me think about the world and the views that I had. He opened the door to the different ways to express that or at least think about it. Just the path that he led me on opened the door to my teaching and wanting to instill these types of characteristics. Students may think you understand something, but looking at things from multiple sides and trying to gain an understanding from multiple perspectives and critically think is the biggest thing. He was a huge impact on me.”

7. Why do you coach football?

“I coached football because I played football. I understand it. I love the chess match of the offense and what they are doing and the defense and what they are doing. Trying to build a team within the game of football, I think takes a lot more than just that. But it is something that I like doing- trying to get people to work together to understand what their role is, and to be the most efficient at what they are doing while still knowing it is not just about their job but in terms of a team effort. I think that aspect of it really draws me to the sport.”

8. What do you do in your free time?

“In my free time I do a lot of music related things. I create my own songs and sell them to people to use for a little bit. I play in a cover band. We practice at least once a week, and we will play once or twice a month. I like to play Xbox. I do have a gaming group of friends that I play some Xbox with. I like to play softball, and I like to be outside. I like fishing and just do a bunch of normal stuff that people like to do outside. I have a lot of things going on.”

9. When did you start making music and why?

“I started making music when I was in high school because I liked it. My friends liked it, so we formed a band. We kicked things off from there. Since then I still hang out with some of the guys; I still jam out with them. But I think I have taken on the role of trying to continue to do it as a little bit more than a hobby. I like it too much to stop now, so I find ways to do it.”

10. What is your favorite food and why? Do you make it or buy it?

“It depends on the day. Right now my favorite food is orange chicken. My wife buys it at Trader Joe’s. I like it better when she makes it because she seasons it better. I can make it. I do make it, but I do like it better when she makes it. Right now that is my favorite food, but it does change very often.”

11. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?

“It depends on the day, again. Some days I’d love to live in Alaska. That way I could live in isolation while still living in the US. I have wanted to live in Texas, in the Bahamas, pretty much anywhere. I just like being in different places, like the whole job thing. I like the change and the challenge of adapting to new things. But being kept in one place has been good for me. I would live here for a year and then live somewhere completely different for a year. That would be a cool challenge.”

12. What is your favorite video game?

“My favorite video game franchise of all time is the Mass Effect franchise, followed closely by the Destiny franchise. Right now it would have to be Warframe or a different PvP battle royale type game.”

• Get to Know English Teacher Mr. Mosich

Profiles

Get to Know Mr. Leung – New Orchestra Teacher

Profiles

Get to Know Latin Teacher Ms. Milligan

Profiles

Meet New Music Teacher Mr. Petroski

Profiles

Get to Know Seventh Grade History Teacher Mr. George

Profiles

Get to Know New Orchestra Teacher Ms. Mac Lean

Profiles

Get to Know Jr. High Science Teacher Mrs. Zahedi

• Profiles

Get to Know Help Desk Employee Bill Cheney

Profiles

Get to Know New Jr. High Latin Teacher Dr. Williams

Features

Get to Know Jr. High Student Maitland Luksan

Profiles

Get to Know Nordic Ski Coach Carl Shaffer

Get to Know English Teacher Mr. Mosich